Monday, May 10, 2010

Take A Photo, Make A Pillow, Make Someone Smile

I found this amazing product while perusing the fabric store and I wanted to share it with you.  It's printable fabric by the June Tailor company!


I found it at JoAnn and lo and behold, it was 50% off.  Yay, me!  I know things like this have been around for a few years, but the quality hasn't been that great in my opinion.  They either jammed in the printer or they didn't allow the ink to set very well and ended up distorting in the ironing process.  I had no problems whatsoever with these sheets.  The results were professional, crisp and clear.

To make an photo heirloom project for yourself or as a much-appreciated gift, here's all you do:

1.  Scan an old photo.  I was able to get a hold of my grandmother's old photo box several years ago and made a bunch of color copies while I had the chance.  This project used a scan of a color copy and the quality is still very nice.
2.  Bring up the image on your computer and select print.  If your image is scanned, the scanner software should ask you whether you want to print one 8x10, 2-5x7s, 2-4x6s or several smaller shots.  You can even print an entire sheet of thumbnail shots of the same photo.  Think of the mini-project possibilities! 
3.  Load your printable fabric sheets according to your printer's specifications.  Usually you load specialty papers face down.  Now print your image!  Let it dry for 10 minutes flat and undisturbed.
4.  Peel off the back paper.   To set the image, iron directly over the image for 2-3 minutes WITHOUT STEAM.  There are also directions for making your image color-safe for washing.  Just check the package.

5.  Now, you are ready to get to work making something super-dee-duper.  I chose to use pinking sheers and clip close to the edge of the fabric, because I wanted an edge that wouldn't unravel.  I found some fabric scraps in my stash.  One was a piece of a celery-beige-ish home dec fabric that was nice and sturdy.  I zig-zag stitched my image right on top of a square of this fabric.  Then, I sandwiched some vintage trim I found in a thrift store for pennies between the fabric with the photo on it and another piece of fabric (remember, right sides together so you can turn it inside out in the end). The backing fabric I found was something I've had for years, resembling old postage letters.  I sewed around the whole square, stopping about 2 inches from the end so that I could stuff it with polyfil and make this little decorative pillow......


My Papa, James Lester Freeman passed away in 1998, just months after I got married.  This is one of my favorite photos of him as a young man in the U.S. Navy.  I was so excited and honored to be able to give her this pillow for Mother's Day.  I think it made her day :)

I could have easily taken any image, printed it smaller, and made tiny stuffed Christmas ornaments by adding a handle made of ribbon, cording or other trim.  Really, this project is completely versatile and limited only by what you've got in your stash.  I've got some cute ideas for photo gifts for my mom, but I'll refrain from sharing.  She reads my blog.  LOL.
Send me some ideas......what would you do with a treasured photo on fabric?

No comments:

Post a Comment